Telecasters allow players to select the neck and bridge pickups together, but Stratocasters don’t. Many players over the years have added switches to Stratocasters to allow this combination, and the switch is usually a push/pull pot or a mini-toggle switch (manufacturers - including G&L - have offered this as stock wiring on guitars).
Lindy Fralin had a better idea. Rather then use a switch, he uses the bottom tone control to function as the switch. But since this control is a variable resistor, rather than merely switch a pickup on or off, it allows the player to “blend” a pickup into or out of the mix, like a volume control would do.
The blender control connects affects either the neck or bridge pickup. In the full-clockwise position the blender control does absolutely nothing, and in fact makes itself disappear from the circuit so as not to load the circuit (think true bypass). In this position, the 5-way switch functions like a normal Strat, with one volume and one tone control. Turning the control counter-clockwise in positions 1, 2, 4, or 5 adds in the neck or bridge pickup as shown below. The player can get lots of subtle tonal coloration with this control.
Position 5 - (Neck) blend control adds bridge
Position 4 - (N+M) blend control adds bridge
Position 3 - blend control inactive
Position 2 - (B+M) blend control adds neck
Position 1 - (Bridge) blend control adds neck
includes everything you need to wire a Stratocaster with blender wiring (refer to the images above for a switching diagram). It includes the finest components, from the same suppliers that the large U.S. guitar companies have used for decades:
• (1) Capacitor, .047µF Orange Drop
• (1) Jack, Switchcraft 1/4" Mono
• (2) Pot, CTS 250k Audio, Low Torque (1/4" Bushing Length)
• (1) Pot, CTS Blender, Low Torque (1/4" Bushing Length)
• (1) Screw for Shielding Ground Lug
• (1) Shielding Ground Lug
• (1) Switch, 5-Way, CRL
• (1) Treble Bleed Kit for Single-Coils
• (3) Wire, 22 AWG Cotton Push Back w/ Tinned Overcoat, Black
• (3) Wire, 22 AWG Cotton Push Back w/ Tinned Overcoat, White
• (3) Wire, 22 AWG Stranded Silver-Plated Copper, Black PTFE
• (3) Wire, 22 AWG Stranded Silver-Plated Copper, White PTFE
• (1) Professional, Fully-Illustrated Wiring Diagram
|Pickup Configuration||(SSS) SGL|SGL|SGL|